Bill Sundhu is a respected speaker and commentator on human rights, justice, diversity, equality and international legal issues. He has extensive knowledge of the Canadian justice system and international human rights law. He is a lecturer, public speaker and frequently sought by the media for commentary on legal and human rights matters.
Bill is motivated by a fundamental principle enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Rights – that all human beings are equal in rights and dignity – and that words on paper must be translated into meaningful action for all persons.
Bill’s interests include writing, sports (hockey, football), music, theatre, gardening, literature and adventure travel. He speaks 3 languages – English, French and Punjabi. He is a political and human rights advocate.
Speeches & Lectures:
- Keynote Speech, “Human Rights of Women & Girls”, ‘Days for Girls’, Canadian National Conference, 2022
- Guest: “Bill Sundhu on Ukraine & Int’l Criminal Law, Kamloops This Week, 2002, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-ed4n1gZo
- Speech: “There is No Peace without Justice”, 43rd Annual Walk for Peace, Social Justice and Environment, Council of Canadians, (Kamloops), 2022, https://billsundhu.ca/there-is-no-peace-without-justice/
- Guest Speaker, “Pilgrimages, Journeys of Life”, Retired Municipal Employees Assn, 2022
- Guest speaker, Thompson Rivers University Human Rights Law Club, 2022
- Guest speaker, “Ukraine Crisis & International Law”, Kamloops Rotary Club, 2022
- Panellist, “Diversity in the Legal Profession”, Thompson Rivers South Asian Law Students Association, 2022 & 2015 &, BC Branch Canadian Bar Association, Kamloops 2019
- Guest Lecturer, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law (2021) & Human Rights Classes (2021, 2019, 2018, Thompson Rivers University Law School
- Presenter, “Modern Canada & Governance”, Immigrants Services Centre, Kamloops, 2021
- Keynote Address: High School Student Debating Competition, Kamloops, 2021 & 2018
- Presentation, “Privilege, What Does it Mean?” & “Racism in Canada” Rotary Clubs, Kamloops, 2020
- Guest Lecture, “International Criminal Law & Human Rights, 4th Year Political Science Class, University of British Columbia (Okanagan), 2020
- Guest speaker, Journalism Programme, Thompson Rivers University, 2019, 2011-2014
- Guest Speaker, “Diversity Walk”, International Day Against Racism, Kamloops, 2019 & 2017
- Guest presenter: “Indigenous Peoples & Criminal Justice, Kamloops Adult Learning Society, 2018
- Lenten Lecture, “On the Road Again, Journeys of Life”, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Kamloops, 2018
- Invitee, International Criminal Court (ICC), Regional Seminar, ICC List of Counsel, Arusha, Tanzania, 2016
- Presenter: Philosopher’s Café, “The ‘T’ Word, Terrorism: What does it mean post 9/11?”, Kamloops, 2015
- Lecture & Keynote Speaker: “Human Rights, In Our Modern Era”, Kamloops Adult Learning Society, 2015
- Facilitator & Presenter: “Training Tunisian Judges in International Human Rights Law”, Human Rights Institute, International Bar Association, Tunis, 2013-2014.
- Organizer/Host: City of Kamloops Declaration: “Know Your Neighbour Day” & Diversity Walk, “The Universality of Sikhism” (on the birthday of Guru Nanak), November 2012-2019.
- Guest Lecture: University of Ontario Institute of Technology, “Justice and Human Rights Issues In Canada”, Oshawa, Ontario, October 2012.
- Presenter & Panellist: 14th International Symposium World Society of Victimology, Justice for Victims: Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Conflict, Trauma and Reconciliation: The Hague, Netherlands, May 2012.
- Guest Lecture: Thompson Rivers University, “From Goering to Gaddafi: The Evolution of Modern International Criminal Law”, October 2011.
- Guest Lecture: Educators Without Borders, University of Fraser Valley, “Racism and the Judicial System: Why Diversity Matters”, April 2011.
- Keynote Speaker/Lecture: International Days, Thompson Rivers University, “Human Rights in the U.N. Era” – February 2010.
Speaker and interviewee on Justice, Criminal Law and Human Rights:
- The Globe & Mail
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), including “Daybreak” Show (British Columbia)
- Radio CHNL (Kamloops), Kamloops This Week (Newspaper), Infotel
- CTV News, Global-TV BC, Canadian Press
- Jasbir Romana Show, Sher-E-Punjab Radio, AM600
- Red-FM 93.1 Vancouver